Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Do You See What I See


Delightful Finch (age 3) walked off with my camera.  I scolded her and cleaned the smudged lens and forgot all about it.  Then I found the picture she took.  Life from her eyes.

I still have the first picture my oldest daughter took - a triangle of fuzzy green carpet - in her scrap book.  For his first, my boy took a fuzzy picture of something white. Then for my sweet Finch I find this picture.  Did she focus or is she just lucky?

I only take pictures with people.  Unlike my other kids, she didn't just click.  and I can't throw it away because I've never seen life from her eyes.  Those are the two chairs that she likes to sit on; the end of the counter that she claimed as her own.  The boxes atop the cupboards are hopelessly out of reach.  The doorknob encourages tippytoes.

I don't look at things the way she does and I don't see the things she sees.

When I ripped the camera from her grasp she cried.  Her brother yelled at me, "Hey Mom, Fi wants to take pictures!!"  I decided I'd give the camera back if she hadn't left fingerprints on the lens.  I didn't give it back. Now I wish I had.  I wonder what else she wants to show me.  I wonder if I'll take the time to see.

10 comments:

Sara E said...

very cute.. it kind of reminds me of the couple who attached a camera to their cat to see through his eyes... they ended up with some really cool pics

Melissa aka Equidae said...

what a lovely post....i hope i remember that when my son tries to do the same! passed by from SITS

I'm a full-time mummy said...

Oh wow! Thanks for sharing this!
I'll make sure I keep the pictures if my boy (10 mths old now) accidentally snaps any...

Thanks for visiting my blog btw! :)

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

I gave Alice an old camera when she was the same age and I love her pictures. Maybe you could find her an old one to use as her own! I usually don't like the kids ones that are out there because the picture quality is so bad. But a used one on ebay might be good! (I got some for Lucy and Hannah that way, some old Canon powershots?)

Christy said...

What a great idea to put the pictures in their baby/scrap books! I wish I had done this!
stopping by from sits.

Unknown said...

Stopping by from SITS! What a great picture! My son just wants to look at a picture as soon as you take it.

The Grasshoppa:Triplets Plus Two Momma said...

I have an entire episode of my triplets morning "swiper" episode when they decided to steal my husbands camera and my teenagers purse. They were snapping photos of everything they took out of her purse AND then they went in to wake up the baby and took pictures of all that too.

I thought they were still sleeping, as it was still early in the morning.

The camera told the WHOLE story. They are only four!! It was a real hoot.

I love your post. What a sweet sentiment.

Barefoot Chic said...

Aw this is such a lovely way to document little ones' lives.. Maybe I should let my girls do the same - so cute!! Thanks for stopping by, girlfriend. Stay in touch!

xo

Shell said...

what a great shot!

Luschka said...

Beautiful post. I'm starting to realise more and more how important taking time for the LO is. Love this post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails